Thank You for Your Interest In Becoming A Five-Star Volunteer
1. Why this program? Our Caring for Caregivers program allows the spouse of a veteran with PTSD, TBI or both to receive heartfelt communication and support from our volunteers. It is vital that we recognize these amazing individuals, validate their sacrifice and acknowledge that they have not been forgotten.
2. How does it work? Once you have filled out the application form, depending on availability, volunteers are paired with one member of our Hearts of Patriots Caregiver Family. We ask each volunteer to mail a combination of 3 personalized greeting cards (Birthday, Valentine’s Day and Holiday greeting card) and 2 notecards or letters. These should all include a personalized note of encouragement. We will provide the volunteer basic information allowing you to initiate a “conversation” with the caregiver. (age, number of family members/children and their interests or hobbies, etc).
3. What is my cost? The financial cost to the volunteer is approximately $25 over the course of the year. This represents purchasing and mailing individual greeting cards, note cards or letters.
4. How long is my commitment? This will depend on the date of sign up and time of year. At the very longest, your commitment will be one year. It is possible depending on the time of year and when the caregiver's birthday is to have completed your commitment in as little as 3 months. But while not required, we hope that you establish a longterm connection with your caregiver that extends beyond the designated period.
5. Do I have to do anything else? We want to be able to continue to stay in touch with our caregivers and checking in on how they are doing is part of our commitment to ensuring they are not alone throughout their journey as caregivers. To do this Hearts of Patriots will provide you with a chart to use for the purpose of logging your caregiver communications. We ask that you make note of any pertinent new information regarding the caregiver so our caregiver database is always updated. (Have they moved? Is there a new member of the family? Has the caregiver gone back to school or just graduated? These are just possibilities but you get the idea.) Providing Hearts of Patriots with your communication log helps us ensure the commitment we have made to the caregiver is being met. This updated log will also help us to provide additional caregiver information to another volunteer once your commitment is finished.
6. I've become somewhat of a pen pal with my caregiver. Can I continue to stay in touch with her? You certainly may continue the relationship with your caregiver, but you are under no obligation beyond your initial commitment to do so.
7. I really want to help. What else can I do? Share your interest with others.Please share your interest in Hearts of Patriots and its programs to your friends and family. If you belong to a group, let them know about the ways they can help support our hidden heroes.
Share the Hearts of Patriots mission on social media. Like, share and interact with us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Join our monthly giving program. A monthly investment ensures that programs and emergency funds will always be available for spouses of our wounded veterans.